883 N. Jefferson St.
Arlington, VA 22205
Freelance Writer, September 2000-present.
- Work has appeared in the American Journalism Review, The
Washington Post, Baby Years, Parenting, the Boston Herald,
Bluegrass Unlimited, Bon Appetit, CMJ, the Virginian Pilot,
Progressive Engineering, Skirt, Virginia Business, American
Artist, Watercolor Magazine, the Washington Post, N.C. State's
Alumni Magazine, University of Richmond's Alumni Magazine, The
Music Monitor, The Encyclopedia of Appalachia, Rough Guides Book
of Playlists, Make the Most of Your Time on Earth (Rough Guides),
Ladybug Magazine, eMusic, Other Voices, Literary Mama, How to Fit
a Car Seat on a Camel (forthcoming in May of 2008)
Features writer, November 1996-August 2000, Roanoke Times,
- Mined two beats -- music and Southern culture -- and wrote
stories for newspaper with circulation of 100,000.
- Wrote essays and worked on group projects
- Served on paper's Internet steering committee and as a
Acting features editor, March 1996-November 1996, Roanoke
- Supervised six reporters and one editorial assistant in
production of daily features section
- Edited copy
- Assigned stories, generated ideas, proofed pages, evaluated
Assistant bureau editor, October 1994-March 1996, Roanoke
- Supervised nine reporters and two photographers
- Edited copy, assigned stories, wrote weekly column
- Created and maintained newspaper's first home page on the
World Wide Web.
Higher Education reporter, January 1991-October 1994,
- Covered Virginia's colleges and universities including
Virginia Tech, University of Virginia, Washington and Lee, and
Virginia Military Institute, which was then embroiled in a court
battle in an effort to keep it's all-male status.
- Other newspaper beats at The Roanoke Times included the police
beat and the Pulaski County beat.
- Summer internships were spent at The Greensboro News &
Record and The Fayetteville Times, both in North Carolina.
BA in English from N.C. State University, May 1989
MA in Creative Writing from Boston University, September 2002
Teaching Fellow, Creative Writing, Boston University, 2002
Adjunct Professor, Journalism, N.C. State University, 2003
Honors and Awards
Magazine Merit Honor Award, Society for Children's Book Writers
and Illustrators, presented March 2005, Fellow, Virginia Center for
the Creative Arts, 2004, Virginia Press Association awards for
critical writing, home and leisure writing, and features series
writing, 1998, 1999. Landmark Award for excellence in features
writing, 1997, 1999.
The unworthy owner of a 1952 Gibson guitar, I'm interested in
music, hiking and all things Southern. Volunteer activities have
included Literacy Volunteers, theater renovation, teaching at the
Roanoke Times' Regional Minority Journalism Workshop and assisting at
The Christmas Store, a project that provides food and gifts for
families living below the poverty line. I also spent a year leading a
creative writing program for teens at the Salem, Va. YMCA.
To view writing samples, return to the